Meds75+ – information regarding the use for persons aged 75+
- GabapentinumUsed as "ANTIEPILEPTICS"Class CSuitable for older persons, with specific cautions. Sedative. Reduce the dose in even mild renal insufficiency. Note especially central nervous system adverse effects. Take the interactions in the absorption phase into account.
- Galantamini hydrobromidumUsed as "PSYCHOANALEPTICS"Class CSuitable for older persons, with specific cautions. May exacerbate an existing COPD. Predisposes to cardiac conduction disorders, such as bradycardia. Note adverse effects affecting the gastrointestinal tract. Take interactions into account. Anticholinergic drugs weakens the efficacy of anti-Alzheimer´s drugs.
- GlimepiridumUsed as "DRUGS USED IN DIABETES"Class DAvoid use in older persons. A long-acting sulphonylurea. Risk of adverse effects increases as the function of kidneys and liver decreases. Do not use in severe renal insufficiency. Take interactions into account. Note danger of prolonged hypoglycaemia.
- Glyceroli trinitrasUsed as "CARDIAC THERAPY"Class ASuitable for older persons. Note possibility of reduced blood pressure and orthostatic hypotension.
- Glycopyrronii bromidumUsed as "DRUGS FOR OBSTRUCTIVE AIRWAY DISEASES"Class ASuitable for older persons. Anticholinergic. Take into account possible systemic adverse effects.
- GuaifenesinumUsed as "COUGH AND COLD PREPARATIONS"Class BLack of research evidence, clinical experience or efficacy.
Class A A (green): Suitable for the older persons. The medicinal substance can be used as in younger patients. Changes due to aging do not affect the dose or frequency of administration, and the adverse reaction profile is not different from that of younger patients.
Class B B (grey): There is little research evidence, practical experience or efficacy in older persons.
Class C C (yellow): Suitable for older persons, with specific cautions. The medicinal substance can be used by older persons, but the dose might either have to be reduced, or the frequency of administration decreased due to mild or moderate renal insufficiency or a significant risk of interactions or adverse reactions.
Class D D (red): Avoid use in older persons. Use is possible only in exceptional cases or on a one-off basis. Changes due to aging predispose older persons to adverse or dangerous reactions to the drug. The risk of adverse reactions typically exceeds the benefits.